Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wrap Up April 4th -8th

The kids watched me make a window stars this week. I was going to get them to make ones as well but folding tissue paper is tricky business. I went to Michael's to see if they had kite paper but they didn't I think the kite paper might be a bit stiffer and easier to fold. When I get around it I'll have to buy some online. I made a few using primary colours so the children can see the secondary colours the primary colours make as the sun shines through them.

I was excited to receive the 'Blue Fairy Book' this week. The kids and I have read the first two stories: The Bronze Ring and East of the Sun and West of the Moon. They both seem to being enjoying it. This week in Hooked On Phonics the kids have been working on the inital consonant sounds of:sh, wh, and th. There last review page contained the words: that, than, this ,them, then, chap, chat, chip, chick, chum, Chuck, thin, thick, thud, shall, shag, shin, shut, shed, shell, whip, whiz, whiff, whim and when. The word play section is a page that has empty spaces that the kids take cards with letters on them and spell out requested words. In HOP K the letter spaces where three long, they are now spelling out four letter words. The word list this week was: chin, thin, ship, chip, when, then, chop, whip, shut, and shed. BigH found this fairly easy to do and LittleE really struggled with it. I gave her the intial consonant flash cards to help her. LittleE will be reviewing this spelling next week. She reads the words well but when asked to spell them really struggles. It's really nice to see BigH humming along with his phonics.

For copywork BigH finished 'The Land of Counterpane' and LittleE has finsihed 'Who Has Seen The Wind' a few weeks ago. I plan on video taping the reciting those poems. They have started to be work on the 'Doxology.'

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

We've been behind on our science so we are going to focus on it for awhile now until we are caught up. This week the children learned about Congo jungle and the Serengeti plains in Africa they coloured in and labeled these locations on their map of Africa. They learned about Gorillas, Congo bongos, Elephants, and Leopards to name a few.

I've misplaced our First Language Lessons book and I'm going crazy searching for it, it's one of our favorite resources. Also this week we've been using a new resource for Spanish 123.teachme.com we've been doing the day of the week in Spanish & the season at calender time. They have also been learning some vocabulary for animals, food and colour.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zona, Henry, and Evamae,

    Thank you for all the information. Those window stars look so beautiful! I'm hoping to visit you tomorrow, so maybe we'll get to see your window star and the children!! The spelling for Evamae will become easier as she matures and especially if All About Spelling comes into play for next year. You may want to pick it up at the convention and pre-ordering with Cornerstones Learning may be a good idea. I have the First Language Lessons, so I could lend you mine until the convention. I'll bring it along tomorrow.

    Thanks again for all the information!

    Lovingly,
    Holly, Mrs. Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great Holly. I was wondering about the pre ordering. When I called them about a month ago they said they wanted 5% for shipping so if they are still charging that, the 7% off becomes 2% off. http://onestoplearning.ca/ said they would bring me one with the starter kit and extra student package. I don't think they are charging me shipping for that. :D

    ReplyDelete